Senior Highways Engineer/Technician
Oxfordshire Office (Didcot)
This is a permanent position within our Highways Engineering team at our Oxfordshire Office (Didcot).
Our team is highly motivated and committed to the delivery of successful projects for our clients. This ethos has led to an expanding workload and the requirement for a Senior Highways Engineer/Technician who will enjoy the challenges provided by our diverse range of clients and projects. This position offers the successful applicant exciting opportunities to advance their career across many facets of the profession, opportunities to learn whilst working alongside senior management.
The role will be varied and all encompassing and will include a mix of hands-on highways design work and technical support to other members of the in-house team. Candidates must have detailed design experience and a solid background in highway construction projects. You will be able to review and take responsibility for issuing design drawings and have the seniority to liaise effectively with clients, other members of the professional team, Local Authorities and contractors.
The position offers an excellent opportunity for a Senior Highways Engineer/Technician seeking to develop their career and business acumen and taking on new engineering challenges - right at the heart of a growing, talented, friendly and collaborative team.
Key skills & experience
- Qualified with an appropriate engineering degree and already be / or working toward Incorporated or Chartered status
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a transport planning / engineering design consultancy
- Technical and computing ability to produce horizontal and vertical highways design
- Strong self-motivation and initiative
- Familiarity of highway planning procedures, including Section 38 / 278 Agreements, UK design principles and standards including MfS and DMRB
- Knowledge of procedures relating to TROs and Road Safety Audits etc.
- Experience of dealing with clients and other members of the professional team utilising competent communication skills both orally and in writing
- Good commercial awareness
- An ability to follow instruction and to work collaboratively as part of a team
This team undertakes the following tasks
- Site appraisal and feasibility assessment
- Walking, cycling and public transport audit (WCHAR) and design
- Servicing / delivery design and management
- Highways design – local authority and private residential / commercial (S.38 / 184 / 278)
- Vehicle swept path assessment
- Utility assessment and impact negotiation (C3 & C4)
- Road Restraint Risk Assessment Procedure (RRRAP)
- Ordinary Watercourse Consent application
- CDM risk and mitigation assessment
- Traffic calming and home zone scheme design
- Traffic Regulation Orders and Stopping Up Orders
- Road Safety Auditing (Stages 1 - 4)
Remuneration and training
We offer a competitive salary, a contribution towards a personal pension scheme (up to 5% of salary) and payment of professional membership fees. The company contributes to regular social events and encourages involvement with our nominated charities.
Glanville has a friendly and supportive working environment, including flexible working hours and working arrangements. We have a strong commitment to training ranging from ‘on the job training’ in new software and design techniques to training programs for Chartered status and external short courses. We encourage and are actively involved in the promotion of Engineering as a career of choice through the work that we do with schools.
Glanville’s breadth of skills and experienced staff and long-standing client relationships create an excellent environment for new staff to undertake varied and rewarding tasks and to expand their knowledge and skills while working alongside friendly and motivated colleagues.
Glanville offer a market leading re-numeration and benefits package, sample below.
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- Private health care
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Death in Service benefit
- Initial 25 days holiday (3 held for the Christmas period)
- Additional holiday can be accrued in accordance with the number of years services, up to a total of 28 days
- The option to bank, buy or sell holiday each year after one years’ service
- Long service awards including additional days off and £500 cash award
- Flexible working including the opportunity to work from home
- Paid professional membership
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Interest free loan for annual travel season ticket
- Yearly flu vaccine
- Eye tests paid and contribution towards glasses, if required solely for VDU work
- Regular CPD seminars held in house (with lunch provided)
- Regular social events organised and funded by the company throughout the year
- Free refreshments, including tea, coffee, juice and fresh fruit
- Free on-site parking
Glanville has a friendly and supportive working environment, which has resulted in good morale and a low staff turnover. Come and meet us.
Glanville is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
To apply please send your CV to email@example.com