This is a permanent position within our Structural Engineering team.
At Glanville our structural engineers create, improve, and develop the built environment. We employ sound engineering principles and a broad knowledge base to assess, plan, design and oversee a wide variety of construction projects across the UK. Glanville employs a total of 30 technical staff in the two structures departments based at our Hemel Hempstead and Didcot offices.
Due to expanding workload we are looking for a new team member to join the current structures team of 16 engineers and technicians at the Hemel Hempstead office. We work on a variety of projects large and small across most sectors including commercial, R&D, energy and residential and continue delivering exciting and interesting projects across the industry. Within these sectors we also work on new build and refurbishment projects.
We work collaboratively with our other in-house teams to deliver structural and civil engineering, traffic, and transport engineering, building surveying and geomatics.
There is a strong and supportive team culture and many exciting projects to work on, which creates an environment for constant technical learning and strong career development.
Our portfolio of clients and work is expanding, and as such we are looking to find an appropriate candidate who can assist in leading our Building Information Modelling (BIM) team and support our aspirational growth plans. You will support the development of structural engineering designs by foreseeing design challenges and providing practical solutions using digital technology.
You will work closely with your colleagues within Glanville to provide coordinated engineering design solutions to our clients. You will provide support to project teams, ensuring the most appropriate tools and technology are used to foresee design challenges and support solutions, as well as continuing to focus on your own CPD. This role would suit an experienced BIM Technician who wishes to take the next step in their career by taking a lead role in the development of our BIM teams while remaining actively engaged in project delivery.
- Production of accurate technical engineering drawings, working in Revit and AutoCAD.
- Liaison with Engineers, Architects, the Design team, and Contractors, in the delivery of projects through to completion as necessary, to help ensure each project is delivered on time, on budget and to the required standard.
- Work largely unsupervised and on own initiative, demonstrating good levels of self-motivation and productivity.
- Attend technical meetings with the external design team and assist in the technical aspects of projects, ensuring drawings, design information and other documents are prepared satisfactorily and to appropriate standards.
- Support senior staff in the discharge of their duties.
- Assisting with the preparation of fee proposals, including the accurate estimation of time required for each work item.
- Manage the workload of junior staff on a day- to basis, delegating appropriate tasks, providing coaching/mentoring/ motivation as necessary.
- Identify and pro- actively address the training needs of junior staff.
- Seek professional membership at an appropriate level – e.g EngTech/TIStructE.
- Assist the business with its marketing strategy to promote its services, projects and expertise through platforms including social media
- Assist with improving internal systems / standards/ software / working practices.
- Attending site visits when required.
- Be proactive and responsive to key issues.
- Exploration of new/innovative practices that will benefit the design team/design process.
- Work closely with other members of the team and report to the project director.
- Be able to enhance and promote the image of Glanville Consultants by their actions.
Key skills & experience
- Be able to professionally represent the Company.
- You will have a proven track record in demonstrating a strong understanding of the wider engineering context of designs, drawings, and 3D models, while having awareness of structural engineering and building detailing
- Proficient in computer aided drawing (CAD) and the use of AutoCAD, excellent understanding of the application of Building Information Modelling (BIM) and the use of Revit in the production of buildings and structural designs
- You will have experience in developing and assisting with the development of project CAD & BIM procedures and quality control. Awareness of UK Industry BIM, standards, protocols and procedures is ideal.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of commercial awareness in relation to cost-effective design solutions.
- Demonstrate an awareness of financial matters such as agreed fees and budget status and manage project costs accordingly
- Self- motivated team player with excellent people skills.
- A HNC/HND qualification in civil/structural engineering or equivalent would be an advantage.
- An ability to speak clearly, confidently, professionally and convincingly on the telephone
- An ability to write clear and concise e-mails, letters and reports, and a pride in delivering quality work.
Glanville offers a market-leading remuneration and benefits package, a sample below.
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Death in Service benefit
- Initial 25 days holiday (3 held for the Christmas period)
- Additional holiday can be accrued in accordance with the number of years of service, up to a total of 28 days
- The option to bank, buy or sell holiday each year after one year’s service
- Long service awards including additional days off and cash awards
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity pay
- Flexi-time working
- Paid professional membership
- Study leave
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Cinema Voucher Scheme
- Interest-free loan for annual travel season ticket
- Yearly flu vaccine
- Eye tests paid and contribution towards glasses, if required solely for VDU work
- Regular CPD seminars held in-house (with lunch provided)
- Regular social events organised and funded by the company throughout the year
- Free refreshments, including tea, coffee, juice and fresh fruit
- Free on-site parking
Glanville has a friendly and supportive working environment, which has resulted in good morale and a low staff turnover. Come and meet us.
Glanville is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
If you would like to apply for this position or have any questions in regard to the vacancy, please contact Sandie Reid HR Manager via SReid@glanvillegroup.com