An exciting opportunity for a Principal/Associate Structural Engineer seeking to develop their career and business acumen and take on new engineering challenges – right at the heart of a growing, talented, friendly, and collaborative team.
This is a permanent position within our Structural Engineering team.
At Glanville, our structural engineers create, improve, and develop the built environment. We employ sound engineering principles and a broad knowledge base to assess, plan, design and oversee a wide variety of construction projects across the UK. Glanville employs a total of 30 technical staff in the two structures departments based at our Hemel Hempstead and Didcot offices.
We are looking for a new team member to join the current team of ten engineers and technicians at the Oxfordshire office. We work on a variety of projects large and small across most sectors including commercial, R&D, energy and residential and always have something interesting in the pipeline. Within these sectors, we also work on new build and refurbishment projects. We work collaboratively with our other in-house teams to deliver structural and civil engineering, traffic, and transport engineering, building surveying and geomatics. There is a strong and supportive team culture and many exciting projects to work on, which creates an environment for constant technical learning and strong career development.
Key skills & experience
- Minimum qualification – degree in Structural or Civil Engineering
- Chartered, or working towards Chartered status
- Minimum of 8 years post-qualification experience in relevant structural design
- An ability to prepare structural designs in all conventional materials and experience in refurbishment projects
- An ability to take a global view of structural design on a project, identifying potential problems and solutions and providing advice to clients on design options
- An ability to prepare schematic structural designs based on basic architectural layouts
- An ability to speak clearly, confidently, professionally, and convincingly at meetings and on the telephone
- An ability to write clear and concise e-mails, letters, and reports
- An ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Good commercial awareness
- Lead project teams, supervising and training engineers and technicians.
- Responsible for the financial, technical and project management control of all aspects of projects.
- At a strategic level you will prepare an outline brief, visit the site, and review information including planning history and services. You will prepare preliminary layouts, assist in budget and programming, and assess all the risks.
- Prepare technical details for Architectural design and prepare technical specifications
- Liaise and attend meetings with Architects, clients, subcontractors, and other professionals whilst carrying out duties and always represent the business, in a professional and courteous way.
- Assessing the sustainability and environmental impact of projects.
- Making sure the project complies with statutory requirements, especially health and safety.
Glanville offers a market-leading re-numeration and benefits package, sample below.
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- Private health care
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Death in Service benefit
- Initial 25 days holiday (3 held for the Christmas period)
- Additional holiday can be accrued in accordance with the number of years services, up to a total of 28 days
- The option to bank, buy or sell holiday each year after one years’ service
- Long service awards including additional days off and cash awards
- Flexible working
- Paid professional membership
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Interest free loan for annual travel season ticket
- Yearly flu vaccine
- Eye tests paid and contribution towards glasses, if require for solely for VDU work
- Regular CPD seminars held in house (with lunch provided)
- Regular social events organised and funded by the company throughout the year
- Free refreshments, including tea, coffee, juice, and fresh fruit
- Free on-site parking
Glanville is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
If you would like to apply for this position or have any questions in regard to the vacancy, please contact either
Kelly-Marie Rance HR Assistant via email@example.com or Sandie Reid HR Manager via firstname.lastname@example.org