This is a permanent position within our Civil Engineering team.
Our team is highly motivated and committed to the delivery of successful projects for our clients. This ethos has led to an expanding workload and the requirement for a CAD Technician, preferably proficient in the use of Civil 3D, who will enjoy the challenges provided by our diverse range of clients and projects. This position offers the successful applicant exciting opportunities to advance their career across many facets of the profession, opportunities to learn whilst working alongside senior management, and develop in-house expertise.
The role will be varied and all-encompassing and will include a mix of hands-on highways, drainage and infrastructure design work and providing technical support to other members of the in-house team.
Candidates must have detailed design experience and a solid background in highway construction projects and drainage design. They must be able to prepare, review and take responsibility for issuing design drawings and have the ability to liaise effectively with clients, other members of the professional team, Local Authorities and contractors.
The position offers an excellent opportunity for a Technician / Senior Technician seeking to develop their career and business acumen and take on new engineering challenges, right at the heart of a growing, talented, friendly and collaborative team.
Key skills & experience
- Hold an appropriate engineering / CAD qualification
- Considerable experience working in a civil engineering design consultancy
- Technical and computing ability to produce horizontal and vertical highways design and civil engineering design using appropriate software including ideally Civil 3D, AutotTack and Micro Drainage
- Strong self-motivation and initiative able to work largely unsupervised taking responsibility for managing the technical approval process
- Familiarity of highway planning procedures, including Section 38 / 278 Agreements, UK design principles and standards, including MfS and DMRB
- Knowledge of procedures relating to TROs and Road Safety Audits etc.
- Familiarity of drainage adoption procedures, including section 106/104, UK Design principles/best practice and standards including Sewers for Adoption and the SuDS Manual
- Experience of dealing with clients and other members of the professional team utilising strong communication skills both orally and in writing
- Good financial and commercial awareness
- An ability to follow instruction and to work collaboratively as part of a team
This team undertakes the following tasks
- Site appraisal and feasibility assessment
- Walking, cycling and public transport audit (WCHAR) and design
- Servicing / delivery design and management
- Highways design – local authority and private residential / commercial (S38 / 184 / 278)
- Vehicle swept path assessment
- Utility assessment and impact negotiation (C3 & C4 estimates)
- Flood Risk Assessments and flood compensation assessments
- Drainage design and modelling (S106 / 104)
- Levels and external works design
- Construction Environmental Management Plans (CEMP)
- SuDS maintenance plans
- Earthworks modelling
- Road Restraint Risk Assessment Procedure (RRRAP)
- Ordinary Watercourse Consent applications
- CDM risk and mitigation assessment
- Traffic calming and home zone scheme design
- Traffic Regulation Orders and Stopping Up Orders
- Road Safety Auditing (Stages 1 to 4)
Remuneration and training
We offer a competitive salary, a contribution towards a personal pension scheme (up to 5% of salary) and payment of professional membership fees. The company contributes to regular social events and encourages involvement with our nominated charities.
Glanville has a friendly and supportive working environment, including flexible working hours and working arrangements. We have a strong commitment to training ranging from ‘on the job training’ in new software and design techniques to training programs for Chartered status and external short courses.
Glanville’s breadth of skills and experienced staff and long-standing client relationships create an excellent environment for new staff to undertake varied and rewarding tasks and to expand their knowledge and skills while working alongside friendly and motivated colleagues.
Glanville offer a market leading remuneration and benefits package, sample below.
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Death in Service benefit
- Initial 25 days holiday (3 held for the Christmas period)
- Additional holiday can be accrued in accordance with the number of years services, up to a total of 28 days
- The option to bank, buy or sell holiday each year after one years’ service
- Long service awards including additional days off and cash awards
- Flexible working including the opportunity to work from home
- Paid professional membership
- Study leave
- Wellness seminars
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Interest free loan for annual travel season ticket
- Yearly flu vaccine
- Eye tests paid and contribution towards glasses, if required solely for VDU work
- Regular CPD seminars held in house (with lunch provided)
- Regular social events organised and funded by the company throughout the year
- Cinema Voucher Scheme
- Free refreshments, including tea, coffee, juice and fresh fruit
- Free on-site parking
Glanville has a friendly and supportive working environment, which has resulted in good morale and a low staff turnover. Glanville is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
If you would like to apply for this position or have any questions in regard to the vacancy, please contact either
Kelly-Marie Rance HR Assistant via email@example.com or Sandie Reid HR Manager via firstname.lastname@example.org