The Building Surveying department within Glanville Consultants was established in 1997 and over the last 25 years has been responsible for the design and management of a wide range of construction projects for a number of large commercial clients. We are a busy and expanding department who are looking to add to the team.
This is a permanent position within our Building Surveying team and offers an excellent opportunity for a Building Surveyor seeking to develop their career and business acumen while taking on new challenges. Candidates should have a qualification in the Built Environment (preferably a degree in Building Surveying) and 3+ years post-qualification experience. Chartered or Associate membership of the RICS is not essential, but the candidate should have a desire to work towards their APC.
The role covers professional and project related building surveying services across multiple sectors (non-residential).
Typical duties may include:
- undertaking condition surveys and preparing reports for a variety of purposes
- taking accurate particulars on site
- writing up specifications and schedules of work
- providing design information to support our CAD technicians in preparing drawing packages
- preparing budget costs
- submitting planning and building control applications
- preparing documentation under CDM2015
- attending meetings and interim site inspections
- assisting with party wall matters
Key skills and experience
- technical knowledge and competence
- good oral and written communication skills
- an attention to detail
- an ability to work independently (with support from senior management)
- a logical and practical mind
- the ability to build lasting relationships with clients and colleagues
- negotiation, presentation and report writing skills
- the ability to analyse problems, in order to identify solutions
- commercial awareness and the ability to ensure that you are adding maximum value to clients’ businesses
- the ability to take on high levels of responsibility with enthusiasm and motivation
- good IT skills
- a driving licence
- a reasonable level of fitness and mobility is required, as the job may involve climbing ladders, working on scaffold and in difficult spaces.
Remuneration and training
We offer a competitive salary, a contribution towards a personal pension scheme (up to 5% of salary) and payment of professional membership fees. The company contributes to regular social events and encourages involvement with our nominated charities.
Glanville has a friendly and supportive working environment, including flexible working hours and working arrangements. We have a strong commitment to training ranging from ‘on the job training’ in new software and design techniques to training programs for Chartered status and external short courses.
Glanville’s breadth of skills and experienced staff and long-standing client relationships create an excellent environment for new staff to undertake varied and rewarding tasks and to expand their knowledge and skills while working alongside friendly and motivated colleagues.
Glanville offers a market-leading remuneration and benefits package, a sample below.
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Death in Service benefit
- Initial 25 days holiday (3 held for the Christmas period)
- Additional holiday can be accrued in accordance with the number of years of service, up to a total of 28 days
- The option to bank, buy or sell holiday each year after one year’s service
- Long service awards including additional days off and cash awards
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity pay
- Flexi-time working
- Paid professional membership
- Study leave
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Cinema Voucher Scheme
- Interest-free loan for annual travel season ticket
- Yearly flu vaccine
- Eye tests paid and contribution towards glasses, if required solely for VDU work
- Regular CPD seminars held in-house (with lunch provided)
- Regular social events organised and funded by the company throughout the year
- Free refreshments, including tea, coffee, juice and fresh fruit
- Free on-site parking
Glanville is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
If you would like to apply for this position or have any questions in regard to the vacancy, please contact Sandie Reid HR Manager via SReid@glanvillegroup.com