This is a permanent position within our Structural Engineering team.
Are you a highly motivated person with a talent for inspiring and motivating others? Are you looking for a unique and exciting opportunity which enables you to showcase these talents and lead a team of experienced engineers?
At Glanville our structural engineers create, improve and develop the built environment. We employ sound engineering principles and a broad knowledge base to assess, plan, design and oversee a wide variety of construction projects across the UK. Glanville employs a total of 30 technical staff in the two structures departments based at our Hemel Hempstead and Didcot offices. We are looking for a new team member to join the current team of ten engineers and technicians at the Didcot office. We work on a variety of projects large and small across most sectors and always have something interesting in the pipeline. We work collaboratively with our other in-house teams to deliver structural and civil engineering, traffic and transport engineering, building surveying and geomatics. There is a strong and supportive team culture and many exciting projects to work on, which creates an environment for constant technical learning and strong career development.
We are looking for a successful, experienced and highly motivated structural engineering Associate Director to co-lead a team of structural engineers and technicians at our Oxfordshire office. As an Associate Director you will be expected to help lead the structural engineering team and assist with the management of engineers on numerous projects, ensuring the team undertake detailed design to the required standards, deliver projects on time and profitably, manage structural engineers and technicians and take into full consideration standards and programme deadlines. Projects: UK projects spanning most sectors and building materials from small to large scale up to £20m.
- Responsible to the Company Directors for the financial, technical and project management control of structural engineering aspects of projects.
- Lead and develop project teams, supervising and training engineers and technicians. You will be closely involved in the mentoring, appraisal and development of engineers and technicians.
- Liaise and attend meetings with clients, architects, subcontractors and other professionals whilst carrying out duties and at all times representing the business in a professional and courteous way.
- Support teams to undertake site visits to monitor the progress of works against specifications, and highlight issues to the contractor, client and/or (internal or external) project manager as necessary.
- Check calculations, specifications, drawings and reports produced by others, in accordance with operational procedures and in support of technical excellence.
- Promote design approaches that enhance the sustainability and minimise environmental impact of projects.
- Ensure project designs comply with all relevant statutory requirements to deliver best practice.
Key skills & experience
- At least 7 years post-qualification experience in structural engineering design.
- Chartered Structural Engineer.
- Active client portfolio
- Strong business acumen with the ability to develop new and existing client relationships as well as win new business.
- A sound understanding of the finances of a structural engineering department, for example the ability to control bookings, to handle project finances, invoicing, WIP and provisions.
- Good relationship builder.
- A proven track record of successfully delivery projects and client satisfaction.
- A good understanding of the UK construction market.
- Proven ability to lead, inspire and motivate individuals.
- The ability to think strategically and to solve technical problems.
- Expertise in maintaining an overview of entire projects and supporting the focus on appropriate level of detailed design.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Detailed knowledge of relevant technical legislation and design guidance best practice.
- Proficient in the use of design tools such as Tedds, Tekla, Revit, Masterseries
- A passion for innovative design
- Versatile, motivated and self-driven
- Committed to technical excellence
Glanville offer a market leading re-numeration and benefits package, sample below.
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- Private health care
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Death in Service benefit
- Initial 25 days holiday (3 held for the Christmas period)
- Additional holiday can be accrued in accordance with the number of years services, up to a total of 28 days
- The option to bank, buy or sell holiday each year after one years’ service
- Long service awards including additional days off and £500 cash award
- Flexible working
- Paid professional membership
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Interest free loan for annual travel season ticket
- Yearly flu vaccine
- Eye tests paid and contribution towards glasses, if require for solely for VDU work
- Regular CPD seminars held in house (with lunch provided)
- Regular social events organised and funded by the company throughout the year
- Free refreshments, including tea, coffee, juice and fresh fruit
- Free on-site parking
Glanville has a friendly and supportive working environment, which has resulted in good morale and a low staff turnover. Come and meet us.
Glanville is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
To apply for this vacancy please send your CV and Cover Letter to Sandie Reid HR Manager at email@example.com or Kelly-Marie Rance HR Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org